I've found that I often neglect bringing "little things" to God in prayer. My days are filled with little things, most relating to my little boy Gideon, such as getting him to sit down and eat his meals, successfully putting dinner together as well as enjoying it together as a family, caring for Gideon when he is sick or not feeling himself, getting through another night of "sleep training" and not losing my patience in the process...and the list goes on. These are the things that fill my days. When I look at all the other things happening in others lives and in the world, these seem like such little things to me, so why even bother God with them? Well, my sweet landlord lady changed my perspective this weekend.
I went over to her door to hand her our rent check for the month, not planning on staying to chat, as I had dinner to get ready for the boys. I ended up talking with her, well mostly listening to her talk, for half an hour. She asked me to sit down with her as she shared the happenings of her week with me. You must know that one of her favorite hobbies is gardening. She must be in her late 70's, but she is in such great health and has spent the last few weeks preparing her food garden for the season. It's a HUGE garden too. I noticed how hard she was working last week in it. Well, apparently she was determined to get everything planted by the end of the week, before all the rain came. She told me how God gave her the strength to accomplish everything that she wanted to that week in her garden. She said that normally she wouldn't have had the strength to do all that she did, but God gave that to her that week. I could tell how much it meant to her. It didn't stop there though. She told me how she had lost her purse that week while shopping. This was very upsetting to her, which is understandable! She retraced all of her steps, but couldn't find it. She went home and prayed. She called a friend who prayed also. Well, as she was getting ready to cancel her credit cards, her son walked in with her purse! It was found in a shopping cart and the person found her son's number and called him. As she told me about this, tears were streaming down her face. She was so overwhelmed by how God answered her prayers.
She really saw God work in her life that week. She gave him all the glory too! I walked away with a fresh perspective. I need to bring everything to him in prayer. He really cares about little things in our lives!
I agree totally with this Justine! The little things are so important yet usually so overlooked! Hope you had a great Mother's Day...I saw you coming right as we were leaving:) Have a good day!!!
ReplyDelete